Tokyo is known for its most efficient metro and rail network, all attractions and tourist hot spots are well connected via subways and trains. Subways are one of the best ways to get around Tokyo, therefore staying close to metro stations in Tokyo is always recommended for tourists. There are 23 districts in Tokyo with more than 200 metro stations, hotel selections can seem endless, and travel planning could be therefore full of riddles and stress. That’s why we’ve taken the time to pick and recommend some key hotels which could be used as a guide when you put together a dream plan for visiting Tokyo.
Where to Stay In Tokyo: Here are the Best Areas
The best areas to stay in Tokyo without a doubt are Shinjuku, Ueno, Asakusa, Tokyo Station, Roppongi, Shibuya, and Ginza. Staying close to JR Yamanote Line (includes Shinjuku, Ueno, Asakusa, Tokyo Station and Shibuya) provides you the easiest access to most popular sightseeing areas of Tokyo. Station Shinjuku and Ueno are our favorite picks for places to stay in Tokyo, we will tell you why when the chapter continues.
Why Stay In Shinjuku?
Shinjuku is Tokyo’s most important hub with dense busy JR and metro network , it neighbors Shibuya and Harajuku. JR Shinjuku station is the biggest and most important JR hub that connects to many famous attractions such as Odaiba, Yokohama, Hakone, Fuji kawaguchiko. Shinjuku Station has a few different entrances which easily lead to unlimited options of exploring culture, shopping, dining and the entertainment of liveliness.
Where To Stay In Shinjuku
Best Mid-Range Hotels in Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo hotel
- Location: This hotel is centrally located, within 2 minutes walking distance to Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line (Nishi-Shinjuku Station), 3 minutes walking distance to Toei Oedo Line (Tochomae Station).
- Amenities and Service: This 5 star hotel is on the direct Airport Limousine Bus route to/from Narita and Haneda International airport, it offers indoor swimming pool, sauna & fitness center, guests can take advantage of the complimentary shuttle bus to /from Shinjuku-nishiguchi Station
- Guest Rooms: All rooms are spacious, bright, some units provides panoramic view of the Shinjuku Central Park and metropolis (on selected higher floor level).
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
- Location: This hotel has a central location within 10 minutes walking distance to JR Shinjuku station, Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line (Nishi-Shinjuku Station), 3 minutes walking distance to Toei Oedo Line (Tochomae Station).
- Amenities and Services: Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo is a Michelin award winning 5 star hotel. Hotel offers free shuttle service to/from Tokyo Disneyland.
- Guest rooms: Hotel rooms are spacious and bright with stylish design and superior quality. Two types of Hello Kitty Theme Rooms are available for guests to choose from.
- Point of interests: Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, Kabukicho, Meiji Jingu and more.
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
- Location: Lies in a very central preferred location, this hotel is within 5 minutes walking distance to JR Shinjuku station, 3 minutes to Seibu-Shinjuku Station.
- Amenities and Services: There is direct N’EX service to /from Narita International airport, Hotel presents attractive new style and modern facility, “Godzilla Head” art work at terrace on the 8th floor can be seen from Godzilla view room, there is a food court on 1st floor.
- Guest rooms: Hotel offers good sized guest rooms, the modern contemporary deco is very impressive with the touch of new generation style.
Best Budget Hotels in Shinjuku
Tokyu Stay Shinjuku
- Location: This hotel is within 1 minute walk to Shinjuku-sanchome Station, JR Shinjuku station and the world famous Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden are all just 8 minutes away on foot.
- Guest rooms: all rooms are equipped with air purifiers, humidifiers, and in-suite Laundry with washer and dryer, selected guest rooms provide microwave. This hotel has a straight forward simple style yet with all the convenience guests expect.
- Point of Interest: Meiji Jingu, Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, Yoyogi Park, etc.
Super Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho
- Location: This is a centrally located hotel, a 3 minute walk will arrive at Seibu-Shinjuku Station North exit, Higashi-Shinjuku Station exit A1 is about 8 short minutes by foot.
- Amenities and Services: This hotel is very refreshing and trendily simple in style, it is ideal for guests who need double occupancy, guests can enjoy Hot Spring bath at the hotel, or explore the many options of shopping, beauty spa, dining and convenience stores, many excitements are just a few steps away. Chinese speaking staff is available.
Ueno is the most popular sightseeing area and leading hub for visiting all the major attractions in Tokyo, the collection of JR and terminals of all metro lines offers great efficiency for tourists to get around Tokyo , the skyline departs from Keisei-Ueno can arrive directly to Narita International airport in just 40 minutes . Ueno is home of the most beautiful cherry blossom viewing spot- Ueno Onshi Park, the charismatic Ameyoko Market is a shopping paradise that has so much for tourists to bring home.
We recommend 10 highly rated Ueno hotels that promise best locations near Ueno Station, convenience of living, superior shopping option, good value and much more what you love.
Best Mid-Range Hotels in Ueno
MIMARU TOKYO UENO INARICHO
- Location: This hotel is within 3 minutes by foot from Inaricho Station exit#3 while the JR Ueno Station is just 4 minute walk away, Ueno metro Station can be reached on foot in 7 short minutes.
- Amenities and Services: This Muji style apartment hotel was newly opened in September 2018, each suite has kitchenette and dining table, equipped with 12 language tablet and handy phone which is portable and provides the convenience of making long distance call, also it can help tourists with communicating and checking sightseeing information, this is definitely a superb added value from comfort to luxury.
- Guest rooms: All suites are spacious with light cooking facility, good fit for families and longer stay travelers.
Hotel Mystays Ueno East
- Location: This hotel can be reached within 2 minutes by walking from Inaricho Station, Ueno Asakusa Exit is 8 minute walk away.
- Amenities and Services: This 3 star budget hotel places the best of Tokyo at door step, in-room massage can be ordered by guests for a charge.
- Guest Rooms: Each room is equipped with air purifier, trousers press, memory foam pillow, free toiletries and bathtub. Guest can choose from double room, semi double bed room, king bed room, double bed room and triple room, all room types provide a relaxing cozy atmosphere with unique design and modern deco.
Dormy Inn Ueno Okachimachi
- Location: This hotel has a superior preferred location which offers easy access to many sightseeing destinations of the city, just take a 1 minute walk guests can reach Naka-Okachimachi Station, Ueno-Hirokoji Station, Ueno-Okachimachi Station exit A8, JR Ueno station and Okachimachi Station North exit is 5 minute away by walk.
- Amenities and Services: Dormy Inn is a hotel chain well known for its hot spring spa services, guests can experience the outdoor hot spring or relax in the mineral bath, and enjoy peaceful quietness in the middle of the city’s busy restless life. The beautiful warm tone of interior deco makes this hotel a cozy home away from home.
APA Hotel Okachimachieki-Kita S
- Location: This hotel is located close to JR Okachimachi Station and Ueno Staion, Tokyo metro Hibiya Line and Ginza Line can be reached in 3 minutes on foot, shopping paradise Ameya-Yokocho is only 2 minute walk away.
- Amenities and Services: This 3 star hotel offers free daily newspaper, trousers press, laundry and dry cleaning, Chinese speaking and additional 9 foreign language speaking staff is available, there is no on-site restaurant however guests will find it more interesting by visiting the many off-site coffee shops and restaurants, guests can enjoy more domestic Japanese cuisine or international food.
& And Hostel Ueno
- Location: This hotel has a peaceful quiet location yet still lies in the middle of the lively area of the city, within 3 minute walk from Inaricho Station, 7 minutes on foot to Ueno Station, and 8 minute car ride to Asakusa Station.
- Amenities and Services: Hotel offers free bicycle rental for guests to tour through Neno area.
- Guest rooms: Hotel has different room type for guests to choose from double room, mixed dormitory of 6, lady’s dormitory of 6 with bunk beds. Hotel only offers shared bathroom and guests patience is appreciated.