Best hotels in Kyoto, Japan: Budget & luxury accommodations
Where to stay in Kyoto depends on the season of visit. Staying in Osaka is a good option during low season for its better deals and more convenient shopping and nightlife. However during the high season of cherry blossom and maple leaf changing, staying in Kyoto will be a better choice for the best experience without having to spend too much time on the road or fighting the crowds.
In this Kyoto Accommodations Guide I will line up some Best Kyoto Hotels as the answers to the common question “Where to Stay in Kyoto?” For those who want to split the stay between Osaka and Kyoto, please check out the link below for Osaka Accommodations:
Where to Stay in Kyoto
When it comes to selecting where to stay during travel, nothing is more important than LOCATION! A good location means being well connected and easy to get around by public transportations unless travelers have their own chartered car service. The number one location worth considering is the Kyoto Station area. Sanjo-dori and Shijo-Dori are the most popular streets for tourists thanks to its convenient access to main attractions for exploring Kyoto. Those who don’t mind stretching their budget a bit more can try Japanese homestay guest houses near Gion-Shijo Station.
Highlights of Kyoto’s popular accommodations areas:
- Kyoto Station: Bus terminals connect to all major attractions providing efficiency and convenience to get around Kyoto by JR or subway between Nara, Osaka, Arashiyama and Uji. Kyoto station is a paradise for visitors who love to hunt for souvenirs. Best Hotels in Kyoto Station Area
- Shijo-dori: This is a main avenue that runs through the center of Kyoto where travellers can find the Kawaramachi Station, Karasuma Station and Shijo Station conveniently leading to many attractions. The street is one of Kyoto’s vibrant busiest areas where travellers can explore Japanese culture, tradition, shopping, nightlife and much more. Kiyomizu-dera Temple and Gion are the closest local attractions.Best Hotels Near Kyoto Shijo Station
- Sanjo-Dori: Filled with many local shops and restaurants, Sanjo Dori provides easy access to many Kyoto attractions from Karasuma Oike station, Kyoto Shiyakusho-Mae Station and Sanjo Station. This is a good area for explorers to stay. Best Hotels Near Kyoto Sanjo Station
Kyoto Hotel Price
Kyoto Hotels are generally a bit more expensive in comparison to those in Osaka. 5550~11110 JPY per night is considered to be a pretty good deal. Most Kyoto hotels charge high season prices during March and April for Cherry Blossom viewing and in November when Kyoto’s peak fall color attracts big crowds. Visitors who do not hold confirmed reservations in advance may find themselves having hard time to book any available room.
How Far in advance should visitors book Kyoto accommodations?
Most Kyoto popular hotels and good deals are usually sold out 3 month ahead of time during spring and autumn peak seasons. It is suggested to confirm the reservation at least 3 month before arrival, especially for travellers who visit Kyoto for viewing its Cherry Blossom or fall beauty. Hotel rooms are easy to confirm during off peak season, 1 month in advance is good enough.
Three Best Hotels in Kyoto
Having looked at the location highlights of Kyoto tourist area, the next step is to select from the seemingly endless options of Hostels, hotels or homestays, whichever will meet travellers’ budget best. I am listing 3 handpicked best Kyoto hotels that are reliable, clean and affordable with price comparison and guest reviews.
- Great Value Hotel: MyStays｜Mid-range Hotel｜from 12,230JPY｜Near Shijo Station｜Availabilities & Best Price
- Budget Hot Spring Hotel: Dormy Inn｜Budget Hotel｜from 10,375JPY｜Near Kyoto Station｜Availabilities & Best Price
- Great Value Hotel: ROYNET｜Budget Hotel｜from 11,110JPY｜Near Shijo Station｜Availabilities & Best Deals
Top Accommodations in Kyoto Station area
Accessible by JR and subway lines from Osaka, Nara, Uji and Arashiyama, Kyoto Station is the most important transportation hub in Kyoto. Travellers don’t have to go outside of the station to experience Kyoto’s at its finest. The 15 floor station is full of souvenir stores, shopping centers and restaurants including the Porta Shopping mall, Nakamrura Tokichi Macha, JR Kyoto Isetan, Kyoto Ramen and many more. Kyoto Station owns the best located accommodations for visitors. The following are a few I would like to recommend.
Budget Hot Spring Hotel: Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Ekimae
- Location: 3 minute- walk to Kyoto Station
- Features: Dormy Inn is the popular budget hotel in Kyoto. It is ideally located steps away from Kyoto Station. Top features include Simmons mattresses in each room, free Ramen at night, free hot spring bath, free WIFI in all rooms, coin operated laundry facility. Guests will be impressed by the delicious breakfast at the hotel. It is hard not to fall in love with this hotel because it is one of the one-stop best hotels in Kyoto.
Kyoto Station Family friendly Budget Hotel-Hotel Keihan Kyoto Grandes
- Locations: Located 3 minute walk from Kyoto Station, Hotel Keihan Kyoto Grande is directly connected to JR Kyoto Station via an underground tunnel. Shuttle buses for Kansai International airport depart from terminals right in front of the hotel.
- Features: Hotel Keihan Kyoto Grande features a special room type with 3 beds to accommodate bigger families. With an exceptional location, this hotel provides easy access to food, shopping, sightseeing to families and friends.
Kyoto Station Family Friendly Hotel-Mimaru Kyoto Station
- Locations: 5 minutes from Kyoto Station on walk
- Features: Kyoto has developed into a popular international destination that provides more and more hotels with family friendly amenities. Mimaru Kyoto Station is a modern Japanese apartment hotel that offers spacious bright rooms with self- catering facilities to host bigger families. Each guest unit is equipped with a living area, two bathrooms, full size refrigerator, full kitchen and free WIFI. This is a hotel where travellers from overseas can enjoy Kyoto without having to compromise how they live at home, it’s worth every penny spent.
Kyoto Station Hotel Mid-range 4 star –Hotel Granvia Kyoto
- Locations: Ideally sits inside the Kyoto Station. Hotel Granvia boasts the best location in town that offers guests direct or easy access to airport, attractions, shopping and dining.
- Features: Guests at Hotel Granvia Kyoto can fully enjoy the most convenient location. This 4 star hotel features contemporary stylish design and décor, spacious guest rooms with modern facilities and 9 dining options including 3 for breakfast. Free WIFI is available throughout the property. Surcharges apply to the indoor swimming pool and fitness center.
Kyoto Station Japanese-Style with Tatami Budget Hotel-Kyoto Hot Spring Hatoya Zuihokaku Hotel
- Locations: Just a 5 minute walk from Kyoto station’s Karasuma Gate, within walking distance to Bic Camera and drug stores. Bicycle rental is available at the hotel.
- Features: Kyoto Hot Spring Hatoya Zuihokaku Hotel is a perfect combination of tradition, location and affordability. It is the only hotel in Kyoto Station area that offers natural hot spring baths. Guest room features Tatami and Japanese style beddings, fridge and complimentary green tea. Hotel amenities include a Japanese restaurant, public indoor and outdoor hot spring bath, coin operated laundry facility, and more. Guests can buy local specialty products from the store located in the hotel lobby. Free WIFI is available throughout the hotel. Guests can relax and enjoy a massage after a long day of sightseeing and activities, fee may apply. Rooftop terrace offers a stunning view of the cityscape and mountains of Kyoto. This hotel is kids friendly.
Kyoto accommodations near Shijo-Dori
Shijo-Dori is known as the busiest street full of shops, restaurants and attractions. Travellers can reach Shijo-Dori by taking the subway to Kawaramachi Station, Karasuma Station or Shijo Station. Many visitors start their journey in Kyoto by visiting the famous shopping centers such as Takashimaya, Kyoto Marui, kawaramachi OPA or Shinkyogoku Shopping Street. Those who are craving for Japanese delicious food will not miss visiting Nishiki Market and Ponto-Cho. Major attractions can also be found in the Shijo-Dori area such as Kiyomizu-Dera and Gion. Travellers will find Shijo-Dori as one of the most convenient and fun areas to stay in Kyoto.
Gion Shijo Station Mid-range Japanese style Hotel-Hotel The Celestine Kyoto Gion
- Locations: This hotel is perfectly located at a peaceful residential neighbourhood in the busy center of Kyoto, within 10 minutes walking distance from Gion- Shijo Station across from Hanamikoji Street. Restaurants, café, and super markets are all within a short 5 minute walk. Kiyomizu-Dera Temple is a 15 minute walk away. The hotel provides a free shuttle bus to/from Kyoto Station.
- Features: Opened in September 2017, Hotel The Celestine Kyoto Gion provides spacious luxury Japanese vacation home-style accommodation for international visitors. The unique modern interior design and décor pleasantly blend into Japanese wood furnishing with rich traditional touches. Hotel features thoughtful amenities including free WIFI, daily housekeeping and free indoor public bath.
Shijo Station Traditional Japanese Boutique Hotel-Hotel Resol Kyoto Shijo Muromachi
- Location: Hotel Reso Kyoto Shijo Muromachi is a downtown hotel in Kyoto within a 4 minute walk from Shijo Station
- Features: Hotel Reso Kyoto Shijo Muromachi is a good choice to experience the culture and heritage of Kyoto in every way! The stylish exterior and interior design are inspired by the traditional Japanese-style houses with paper windows, Tatami floors and Japanese lanterns. Guest rooms are nicely designed and decorated to showcase the fusion of typical Japanese style and modern minimalist principle. Room amenities are well thought out with details such as automatic curtains, labeled light switches and carefully designed bathroom draining function. This is a great accommodation in Kyoto that guarantees unforgettable guest experiences.
Shijo Station Great Value Hotel-Super Hotel Shijo Kawaramachi
- Location: Just a 5 minute walk to Shijo Station, Super Hotel Shijo Kawaramachi is situated right in the center of hustle and bustle of downtown Kyoto. Nishiki Market and Kawaramachi are 3 minutes by walk. It offers easy access to Kiyomizu-dera Temple by bus.
- Features:Surrounded by many shopping and food options, Super Hotel Shijo KAwaramachi claims one of the best locations when it comes to where to stay in Kyoto. Hotel is equipped with all essential amenities. Guests can enjoy very cozy units, delicious breakfast, helpful service and unbeatable prices even during high season. This is no doubt one of the best budget chain-hotels in Kyoto for business and leisure travelers.
Shijo Station Budget-Friendly hotel-Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Shijokarasuma
- Location: 1 minute walk from Shijo Station, 5 minute walk to NIshiki Market and Kawaramachi. . It offers easy access to Kiyomizu-dera Temple by bus.
- Features: Centrally located in downtown Kyoto with various dining, shopping and sightseeing options nearby, Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Shijokarasuma offers impeccable convenience and thoughtful service to ensure great guest experience and best value for money. Guests can enjoy the privilege of staying in the clean, comfortable and good-sized rooms to unwind an action –packed day in Kyoto. Hotel offers free WIFI, public bath, and delicious breakfast.
Shijo Station Budget-Friendly hotel-Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo
- Location: Shijo Station is just a short 5minute away. Karasuma Station can be reached in 10 minutes on foot. FamilyMart and a 24-hour convenience store are located nearby. A 5 minute walk can take guests to NIshiki Market and Kawaramachi. . It offers easy access to Kiyomizu-dera Temple by bus.
- Features: Honorably recommended by Michelin, Hotel Mystays Kyoto Shijo offers a total package of ideal location, spacious comfortable guest rooms and great value. It has easy access to many dining and sightseeing options. Hotel amenities include free WIFI and self-service laundry facilities.
Kyoto Accommodations near Sanjo-Dori
Sanjo-Dori is one of the city’s most visited main streets. Travelers can arrive at Sanjo-Dori by getting off at Karasuma-Oike station, Kyoto Shiyakusho-Mae Station or Sanjo Station. The “Sanjo Mieten-gai” is a fun zone to explore the culture and history of Kyoto. It offers various opportunities to experience local specialty food and shopping stores such as the famous MIshima-Tei, Lyemon, Sizuya Bakery, Inoda Coffee and much more. Sanjo-Dori provides easy access to many major sightseeing spots by bus. It definitely has a strong reason to be the home for many best hotels in Kyoto.
Sanjo Station 5 Star upscale Hotel-The Ritz-Carlton Kyoto
- Location: Centrally located 5 minutes by walk from Sanjo Station, 3 minutes to Kyoto Shiyakusho-Mae Station, the Ritz-Carlton Kyoto is conveniently built in an exclusive upscale Japanese residential neighbourhood quietly sitting on the banks of the picturesque Kamogawa River.
- Features: Opened in 2014, the urban luxury resort Ritz-Carlton Kyoto consistently delivers high standard service. It features 134 guest rooms with sweeping views of the Higashiyama Mountains and Kamogawa River, free WIFI, indoor swimming pool and fitness center. Guest rooms are decorated with Kyoto traditional concepts which combine sophistication of old-age culture with modern luxury comforts. Room amenities include Nespresso coffee maker and other convenience in carefully designed details. Hotel provides internationally inspired cuisine as well as a domestic restaurant serving Japanese delicacy Kaiseki.
Sanjo Station Mid-range hotel-Solaria Nishitetsu Hotel Kyoto Premier
- Location: Solaria Nishitetsu is located by the Kamogawa River within just 2 minutes walking distance to Sanjo Station on the Keihan line, Kyoto Shiyakusho-Mae station is 1 minute away by walk. Various dining and shopping opportunities are steps away . It only takes 5 minutes by walk to go to Ponto-Cho district for dinner.
- Features: Solaria Nishitetsu Hotel Kyoto Premier was recommended by Michelin at its grand opening in 2017. It is so easy to fall in love with this top hotel for its great location, spacious bright rooms, thoughtful defined amenities, quiet and peaceful environment, friendly service and many more reasons. Selected guest rooms offer river views or Japanese garden views. Guests can relax in the public bath after a long day of sightseeing and shopping. It is a perfect choice for accommodation in Kyoto for families of all generations.
Kyoto Unique hotel with direct access to airport by bus-Hotel Alza Kyoto
- Location: Located just a 5 minute walk to Kawaramachi Station, Shijo Station and Sanjo Station, Hotel Alza Kyoto sits in a primary ideal location along the bank of Kamo River. Convenience store is within 2 minutes walking distance, Nishiki Market is only a 15 minute walk. The Airport Transport Service takes guests directly to Kansai International Airport from the hotel.
- Feature: Hotel Alza Kyoto was awarded 2 pavilions by Michelin in <Michelin Guide 2020>. It is located by the bank of Kamo River and in the Gion District of Kyoto. Selected guest rooms feature the view of the Kamo River and Kawadoko. Guests can stroll down the outdoor deck around the property to enjoy seasonal natural beauty. The hotel presents a fusion of traditional and modern interior design and décor with Japanese art crafts inspirations. It is a peaceful place for guests to enjoy what the lively city center can offer during the day and unwind for a sweet dream at night.
Well positioned budget hotel-Royal Park Hotel Kyoto
- Location: 3 minute walk to Shiyakusho-mae Station and Sanjo Station.
- Features: Royal Park Hotel Kyoto offers a perfect central location. Guests can take advantage of the easy access to many major attractions. Hotel features a family room type to accommodate bigger families traveling together. It is an old hotel weaved tradition with art in fashion.
Sanjo Station Stylish Hostel-Piece Hostel Sanjo
- Location: Piece Hostel Sanjo is centrally located within 3 minutes walking distance to Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station and Sanjo Station and close to Shinkyogoku Shopping Street.
- Features: Piece Hostel Sanjo is a renovated hostel with fashion in style and tradition in spirit. It is designed for people who travel to explore and look for adventures. This specialty hostel provides an affordable base with adequate comfort for active travellers to relax and meet new friends. It features modern amenities and free delicious breakfast. A quad room only cost 12,230JPY per night. Advance booking is highly suggested because it is easily sold out.
Traditional Japanese Ryokan in Japan
Where to stay in Kyoto for repeat visitors who just want to lay back to enjoy the slow side of Kyoto, or those who are traveling with older parents wanting to appreciate traditional Japanese Ryokan? The following hotels in Kyoto are highly recommended. They may not be all close to popular train stations but still provide fairly easy access to attractions and shopping.
Shichijo Station traditional style Hotel-Kyoto Takasegawa Bettei
- Location: Kyoto Takasegawa Bettei is localled in a quiet peaceful area with a short 7 minute walk to Shichijo Station and 15 minute walk from Kyoto Station. It is well connected to downtown and attractions. There is a 7-11 nearby. Guests can rent bicycles near the hotel to stroll along the Takase River and hiking trail.
- Features: Kyoto Takasegawa features convenient location, spacious thoughtfully designed guest rooms with very unique Japanese wood bathtub, free WIFI, and a petite Japanese traditional style garden.
Gojo Station Traditional Style Hotel with laundry facility-Matsubaya Ryokan
- Location: 10 minute walk to JR Kyoto Station, 5 minute walk from Gojo Station, Higashi-Honganji Temple is located across the street from the hotel.
- Features: Matsubaya Ryokan is a newly renovated traditional hotel with a long history since 1884.It inherited Japanese tradition elements and also added modern amenities. Guest room features tatami and Japanese style bedding. Guests can enjoy the mini Japanese Garden and the delicious breakfast. This hotel is 100% non-smoking. Laundry facility is equipped on the 4th floor of the property. This is not only a nice place for travellers to rest during visits but also a home away from home to experience local life style.
Machiya style accommodation near Nijo Castle-Higurashi-Sou Guest House
- Location: Near Nijo Castle
- Features: Lying next door to Nijo Castle, Higurashi-Sou Guest House is an apartment accommodation that was renovated from a 80 year old Machiya house. It offers guests thoughtful amenities to guarantee comfort. Wood floor and tatami fill guest rooms with Japanese traditional culture atmosphere. Guests can also relax in the quiet courtyard. It is a unique place to go back to old days and experience the traditional lifestyle that the city of Kyoto inherited.